Tuesday 25 October 2011

Of Cats: My Experience with Singapore Strays (Part 3)

A question that had lingered in my mind before I started feeding community cats was “What should I feed stray cats in Singapore?”. Feeding stray cats should be a concerted effort from everyone in the community.

In Part 3 of this series, I will be talking about nutrition for the stray cats and what we can and should feed them.

Before I start, I will like to discuss responsible feeding. The below image is an advisory by the Cat Welfare Society, which I find very useful to all kind-hearted souls who want to feed stray cats.


Retrieved from Cat Welfare Society

As such, if you notice, I have actually committed an “error” by not using either plates or bowls in the Part 1 of my post. After I discovered the above advisory by the Cat Welfare Society, I have since started to use a plastic bowl.

 Black cat from Part 1, using tips from Part 2, I managed to get so close!
STRAY CAT NUTRITION
(1) Dry food / Kibble / Raw meat / Cooked meat
Dry food should be the main staple of a community cat's diet. It provides essential carbohydrates and proteins for a stray cat's daily activity.

Unlike dogs who are omnivores, cats are carnivores, meaning that their diet should contain little fibre (which are found in large quantities in vegetables).

Some people do comment that dry food is not really healthy. For example, it is a well-known fact that meat by-products, unable for human consumption, such as the beak, head, feet are used to make dry pet food. Furthermore, to make the kibbles more filling, manufacturers add in corn meal.

Hence, if you have the money, you can purchase raw or cooked meat for cats to eat. I find that some community cats like chicken, more than the commonly-perceived fish.

However, I believe that stray cats are already grateful to have food to eat, be it dry kibble or the more nutritious cooked or raw meat. As long as there are food to eat, these community cats will have a better life.

(2) Water / Milk

Like human beings, stray cats require water for survival. I have often seen stray cats licking the dew off plants for their daily water intake or drinking from the dirty drains which is definitely insufficient and unhealthy for these community cats.

Whenever I feed stray cats, I will always bring a bottle of pet's milk or fresh boiled water with me. Pet’s milk is definitely recommended as the community cats’ stomach might not be able to process the lactose, causing unnecessary pain and harm to the lives of the cats.

In the next post, I will talk about some of the misconceptions that might exist when feeding stray cats and how we can help them.


CWS Logo-Link to us!
Support the Cat Welfare Society

14 comments:

  1. Because pet cats had been cult creatures within historic Egypt, these were generally considered to happen to be domesticated generally there,[9] however generally there might have been cases of domestication as soon as the actual Neolithic through about 9500 years back (7500 BC). How to Get Rid of Cat Fleas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. view more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. homemade dog food for thyroid problems

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. best dog harness for running

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me. front cat carrier

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. best food for cats with sensitive stomachs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
    If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
    petreviewz

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. Best size cage for a hamster in your home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. What to Do if Your Dog has an Ear Infection

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... Read more

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! What Can I Give My Dog to Increase Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog is like a breath of fresh air. Love the positivity!
    Singapura Cat

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics